[Menvi-discuss] Off-Topic: Mac and VoiceOver

David Goldstein - Resource Center info2 at blindmusicstudent.org
Fri Apr 13 10:41:32 EDT 2012

Actually, this is very on-topic (Hi Jeanie).  Many colleges require students to have macs and in some cases, they base their courses on programs that are only available on the Mac platform.  In many cases, blind students have needed to stand up for their need to use PC-based programs to get their theory work done, and that can take a while.

  The music recording industry's program of choice seems to be ProTools.  (You know how the majority chooses something and everybody is expected to use it, whether it's better than something else or not.)  Because of that, there are several blind musicians who have been working on accessibility for years and have gotten amazing amount done by working with the company that makes ProTools and Apple.  One such person is Slau Halityn.  Many blind engineers have been use some Mac software for years to accomplish certain tasks, like for setting Midi instruments or samplers.  I know that some now ProTools for many, if not all, of their sequencing tasks.  There is a blind Mac using musicians group you can reach at info at blimug.org.

  I am pretty sure the consensus about Voiceover in general is that it works adequately as a screen reader for the common applications for word processing and browsing the Web.  Some things are "intuitive", other things require learning gestures like the iPhone, and other things work, but are a bit more cumbersome and take more keystrokes, simply because of the way the Mac is set up.  Many Macs can be switched over to become Windows machines, and Jaws will work in that mode.

  Regarding music programs, most applications used for Sequencing, from Garage Band to ProTools, are now pretty accessible.  I think you can do most everything with sonar and CakeTalking that ProTools boasts, but you'd have to ask one of the experts who know both.  Interestingly, there's a PC version of ProTools, but it cannot work at all with JAWS.

  Last time I checked, there was no notation program for the Mac that would work with Voiceover--not Finale, not Sibelius.  I think Sibelius hoped that someday they could help developers bring access to the Mac version, but I read an opinion that we should stick with the PC platform.  The Berklee College of Music is one of the colleges that assumes all students will have Macs.  They have set up a lab for blind people, and although they may have a Mac or two there, they encourage the blind students to use Sibelius, Sonar, and GOODFEEL.

  As far as scripting for Voiceover goes, I may be wrong about this, but I don't think it works that way.  I think you have to tell Apple what you think would be a good idea if they could get it to work, and then you wait for the next upgrade to come out.

  I'm not sure whether there would be any advantage for Rachel's getting a Mac, except that other people would be happy because she was using something they knew about.

  Many young people and amateurs, with fewer ambitions than Rachel, enjoy Garage Band with Voiceover.  It's supposed to be simple to get going with.

  I'd suggest you write to info at blimug.org or contact me off-list for addresses of individual users and developers.

  David

  -----