[Menvi-discuss] Ear Training Class Questions?

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonboy13 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 10 20:16:13 EDT 2012

Hello,
I’m in a new quarter of music theory and we have a new Ear Training teacher who’s 100 times harder than my last teacher. She gives out a handout every week you are tested on, then you grade it and bring it home to practice. You then are tested on that same handout the next week.
The handouts have everything from Melodic and rhythmic dictation in 6/8 time to labeling the chords in a song, labeling the notes and time with the correct notes and duration.
I’m wondering how I can give her the results of my test? Should I give my braille document to my transcriber and have her transcribe it from Braille to print? Or is there a more efficient way? This teacher is Adjunct, so she doesn’t have office hours at all where I can come and tell her the notes of her absurdly long dictation exercises.
I also am wondering how people deal with the fact that in the hand out there are starting notes for some measures in the exercises, and you’re supposed to fill in the missing notes? I’ve tried switching from Braille to my little Braille+, but it just doesn’t work very well. I’m not able to wade through the headings and whatnot to find the right notes. Perhaps this is another thing I can get my transcriber to do, copy the notes 3 spaces in with measure numbers and in the left margin have the problem numbers. Because she does announce the problem numbers.
BTW is there an easy way to work out notes and how many accidentals are supposed to go on the above or below note in Braille without counting on your fingers or memorizing every note combination? Sighted people are just able to count spaces on the staff. We can just give the interval, but that doesn’t give an accidental or the above note.
It would be really nice if there was a program we could use that translated Braille music to print, so we could do intervals and whatnot without all the hassle of reverse translation...
How did you all do ear training classes?
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs