[Menvi-discuss] following an orchestra conductor

Rick Coates coatesncr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 19:12:14 EDT 2012

Hello Kelsey:

As a band director of a blind concert band, I generally give my students
verbal cues regarding starting and stopping any movement.  Such a process
requires more than just one rehearsal.  I would advise you to contact the
orchestra conductor either directly or through a contact person to go over
your needs and challenges.  A good conductor will be able to devise an
appropriate method that will show respect for everyone who performs.
Should the conductor decide for some reason that it is better to do silent
cuing, then I would suggest getting another set of eyes to assist you.
Best of luck.  Rick Coates