[Menvi-discuss] Questions re. Blind Accompanists

Dale Lieser dale.lieser at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 13:57:00 EDT 2012

Mr. Lay,

I am not trying to make a joke with the following point:

If the director and accompanist come to trust each other, let the
accompanist begin the piece. The director can gracefully enter two bars into
the piece, or after the intro. When one considers that there are ensembles
without directors altogether, which work successfully, one can see that the
director is but one help in the mix. So if the accompanist hears the choir
stand, for example, and waits perhaps three seconds, or until the flurry of
sheet music opening dies down, it can be safe to begin. Such things can well
be worked out through practice sessions.